- Trekking Tour
3 Day Trek
Katang Trail to the Sacred Forest
Location: Dong Phou Vieng, National Protected Area, Savannakhet Province, Lao PDR
- Stay in a Katang family home, attend a Baci ceremony and try local food and drink.
- Ride a long-tailed baot from Kaeng La'berng rapids to Kaeng Saammatek reapids.
- See dinosaur foot prints en route to the trek.
- Visit a monument to Lao-Vietnam solidarity.
- Learn about the importance of the forest to local people.
- Try the forest products used for food, medicine, fuel and other purposes.
- Discover why the Dong Sa'kee forest is considered sacred.
- Learn about 'La La'puep' wooden clan posts.
- If you are lucky you may encounter monkeys (e.g. silvered alngur) and birds. (e.g. hornbills).
- Learn about traditional villager skills and crafts, like silk production, weaving and blacksmithing.
3 Day Trek: Katang Trail to the Sacred Forest
1 pax: US$ 280
2-3 pax: US$ 157 / pax
4-7 pax: US$ 116 / pax
8-10 pax: US$ 90 / pax
Maximum group size 10
Depart from: Savannakhet Eco-Guide Unit ( or pick up at Hotel, Guest house)
Start time: 7:00 am
End at : 6:00 pm ( third day)
Duration: 3 days 2 nights
Departure date: Daily
Activities: Trekking, Home stay, boat ride, and animal watching
Grade: Easy trekking
Transport: Local Bus (Songtheaw)
Accommodation: Home stay
Meal: Lunch first day, Dinner, Breakfast and Lunch (7 meals), is local Lao food. A typical meal includes chicken, soup, sticky rice, vegetables and chili. Vegetarian food is available upon request.
What’s included: Hotel/ guesthouse pick up and all transportation during the trek,Transport to / from Savannakhet from other provinces is not included, Provincial and village guide service. All meals and home stay during the trek, entrance fee for stupa, Drinking water during the trek, contribution and village development funds, all tax and service charges.
- Please respect ethnic culture and traditions.
- Do not hunt wildlife or damage plants.
- Do not take products out of the forest without first checking with your guide.
- Tell the guide if you see anything wildlife.
- Do Not destroy or remove any ancient relics.
- Never give medicine or food to villagers, particulary children.
- Do not bath or sleep in the nude.
- For your accommodation follow the instructions of the village home stay organizers.
- Men and women are not allowed to sleep in the same room, even if they are married. This is a strict taboo with serious consequences for the villagers.
- Do not touch house plants or other belongings.
- When sleeping do not point your feet at another person's head or the outside wall of the house. Your head should point in the direction of the outside wall.
- Do not hang on the wall of the house.
- Do not clap your hands in the house without permission. Singing and dancing are allowed.
- When visiting the villager's house, do not enter the owner's bedroom or touch the spirit altars.
- Please ask before taking photographs.
- Take care of your person belongings.
Things to take with you:
- Shoes for trekking (Running shoes are ok).
- Sunscreen, insect repellent and hat.
- Cameral and binoculars (if you have them).
- bathing clothes and towel (Salong for women)
3 Day Trekking Map (Katang Trail)